Rose water – The new beauty favorite and its benefits
What is Rose Water?
Rose water is a liquid made by steeping rose petals in water. It is used as a perfume due to its sweet scent, but it has medicinal and culinary values, as well.
Origin of Rose water
The origin of Rose Water (Rosa Damascena or the Damascus Rose) is Middle Eastern. Rose water was first cultivated in Persia (modern Iran). Iran was the main producer of rose oil until the 16th century and exported it to all around the world. In the 16th century, the first rose plantations in Bulgaria appeared. Back in the day Bulgarian women were recognized to be among the most beautiful women on the planet. Mastering the art of beauty, they took pride in their looks and recognized the benefits that rose water provided to their skin, hair and overall health.
Difference between Rose oil and Oil water
Rose oil is the essential oil extracted from the petals of various types of rose, It is made by distilling the rose flower, and appears as a yellow coloured oil. Rose oil is more expensive than rose water due to its high concentration. While Rose water contains 10-50% rose oil.
Benefits of Rose water
Rose water is used in both beauty products and food and drink products. I will focus mainly on the beauty benefits and will only touch on some other advantages of using Rose water.
Anti Inflammatory effect
One of the most important skin benefits of rose water is its anti-inflammatory effect and its antioxidant effect through the damage of free radicals. This tackles aging signs and symptoms and leaves the skin feeling rejuvenated.
Destressing effect and improved mood
Rose water is found to possess antidepressant and antianxiety properties. Research shows that the extract of rose petals can relax the central nervous system in mice.
Anti Microbial and anti septic effect
Studies have shown the effectiveness of Rose water on conjunctivitis (inflammation of the conjunctiva). Rose water has powerful antiseptic properties, which can prevent and treat infections. For this reason, rose water is often included in a variety of natural and medicinal treatments
Other effects of Rose water are related to the treatment of headaches when used during aromatherapy and more.
- Dab a cotton ball with rose water and apply gently to face and neck in the morning and night, after cleansing. This refreshes and tones your skin.
- Rose water can be added to your bath tub. Few drops will leave your skin feeling soft, with a beautiful flowery fragrance
- Create a rose water mist by adding rose oil to a spray bottle. This can relieve stress. You can mist the rose water on your wrists, face, or even onto your pillow.
- Rose water can be applied to your hair. Mix few drops into your shampoo or conditioner to help hydrate your hair. You also get the extra benefit of the beautiful fragrance.
- Rose water can be used to take off your makeup while still leaving your skin hydrated.
- Use as an aftershave – The soothing and anti-inflammatory effect makes for an excellent after-shave.
- Rose water is also ingested – used in teas and exotic culinary creations.